Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Thursday, September 30 figurative language devices in McKay's America

 




In class: Today you are looking closely at three figurative language devices that McKay uses in his poem America: imagery, metaphor and simile.

We'll anchor by reading the poem twice then; you have a class handout with the poem. This is due by the end of class as independent work, unless you receive the extended time.

If you are absent, please copy the document below onto a google doc, complete and share with me at 

dorothy.parker@rcsdk12.org

Please make sure you give me sharing rights.



FIVE  Different Types of Sensory Imagery



It is useful to break down sensory imagery by sense.
  1. Visual imagery engages the sense of sight. This is what you can see, and includes visual descriptions. Physical attributes including color, size, shape, lightness and darkness, shadows, and shade are all part of visual imagery.
  2. Gustatory imagery engages the sense of taste. This is what you can taste, and includes flavors. This can include the five basic tastes—sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami—as well as the textures and sensations tied to the act of eating.
  3. Tactile imagery engages the sense of touch. This is what you can feel, and includes textures and the many sensations a human being experiences when touching something. Differences in temperature is also a part of tactile imagery.
  4. Auditory imagery engages the sense of hearing. This is the way things sound. Literary devices such as onomatopoeia and alliteration can help create sounds in writing.
  5. Olfactory imagery engages the sense of smell. Scent is one of the most direct triggers of memory and emotion, but can be difficult to write about. Since taste and smell are so closely linked, you’ll sometimes find the same words (such as “sweet”) used to describe both. Simile is common in olfactory imagery, because it allows writers to compare a particular scent to common smells like dirt, grass, manure, or roses.




America

 by Claude McKay

1. Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger’s tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.
5. Her vigor flows like tides into my blood,
Giving me strength erect against her hate,
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood.
Yet, as a rebel fronts a king in state,
I stand within her walls with not a shred
10. Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer.
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead,
And see her might and granite wonders there,
Beneath the touch of Time’s unerring hand,
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand.

*******************************************************

Class handout:

 

Name_____________________________________

Claude McKay’s America     Identifying figurative language devices of imagery, simile and metaphor and how they are used within the poem. Although there might be sometimes more than one possibility. You only need to select one type of imagery and explain its usage within the poem.


America

 by Claude McKay

1. Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger’s tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.
5. Her vigor flows like tides into my blood,
Giving me strength erect against her hate,
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood.
Yet, as a rebel fronts a king in state,
I stand within her walls with not a shred
10. Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer.
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead,
And see her might and granite wonders there,
Beneath the touch of Time’s unerring hand,
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand.

text

Type of figurative language device

Explanation of how or why this contributes to the understanding of the poem

“feeds me bread of bitterness”

metaphor

Bread is essential for life. The poet needs the city to stay alive, but his experiences are difficult.

 

“…sinks into my throat her tiger’s tooth”

 

 

 

 

“Her vigor flows like tides…”

 

 

 

 

“Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood”

 

 

 

“…see her might and granite wonders there”

 

 

 

 

“Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand”

 

 

 

 

…as a rebel fronts a king in state.

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday-Tues, Jan 7-11 Story of an Hour (zoom) accompanying organizer

    Please join your class zoom meeting at the correct time. You must log in to receive attendance credit for the day.    Dorothy.Parker@RCS...